Portfolio Objectives

Fund 40 is a more conservative target portfolio which seeks moderate income and capital appreciation by investing approximately 40% of its net assets in a broad range of domestic equity, international equity, and real asset investment funds with the remaining 60% invested in fixed income investment funds.

Real AssetsInternational Equity
U.S. EquityFixed Income
Money Market

Asset Allocation

Fund Percent
Fixed Income
PIMCO Short-Term Fund 14%
Northern Funds Bond Index Fund 11%
PGIM Total Return Bond Fund 14%
American Century Short Duration Inflation Protection Bond Fund 9%
BlackRock High Yield Bond Fund 6%
AB Global Bond Fund 6%
Real Assets
Principal Global Real Estate Securities Fund 2%
Credit Suisse Commodity Return Strategy Fund 2%
Fund Percent
U.S. Equity
DFA U.S. Large Cap Value Portfolio 6%
Northern Funds Stock Index Fund 8%
T. Rowe Price Instl. Large-Cap Growth Fund 6%
Northern Funds Mid Cap Index Fund 3%
Northern Funds Small Cap Value Fund 1%
T. Rowe Price QM U.S. Small-Cap Growth Equity Fund 1%
International Equity
Northern Funds International Equity Index Fund 4%
Neuberger Berman International Select Fund 6%
Vanguard Emerging Markets Select Stock Portfolio 1%

Portfolio Performance1

As of May 28, 2021

 Average Annual Total Returns at NAV (%)1 
Fee StructureYTD3 Mo1 Yr3 Yrs5 YrsLifetimeExp.
Ratio2
Inception
Date
A4.974.1718.407.797.376.231.118/2/10
C4.824.1218.117.517.105.961.368/2/10
F5.054.2218.678.057.646.500.868/2/10
Fee Structure B Performance

Fund Performance3

As of 3/31/2021

 Average Annual Total Returns (%)3 
Fixed Income FundsExpense
Ratio
TickerQTRYTD1 Yr3 Yrs5 Yrs10 Yrs or Life of FundInception
Date
PIMCO Short-Term Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.45PTSHX0.260.265.212.322.511.8610/7/87
Northern Funds Bond Index Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.15NOBOX-3.43-3.430.364.512.943.302/27/07
PGIM Total Return Bond 529 Portfolio
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.39PDBZX-4.44-4.446.334.974.344.7012/27/10
American Century Short-Duration Inflation-Protection Bond Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.37APISX1.401.408.933.872.822.265/31/05
BlackRock High Yield Bond Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.62BHYIXn/an/a23.426.417.716.4111/19/98
AB Global Bond Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.55ANAZX-2.35-2.355.873.513.233.6811/5/07
 Average Annual Total Returns (%)3 
Real Estate FundExpense
Ratio
TickerQTRYTD1 Yr3 Yrs5 Yrs10 Yrs or Life of FundInception
Date
Principal Global Real Estate Securities Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.88PGRSX4.464.4635.047.076.237.5110/1/07
 Average Annual Total Returns (%)3 
Domestic Equity FundsExpense
Ratio
TickerQTRYTD1 Yr3 Yrs5 Yrs10 Yrs or Life of FundInception
Date
DFA U.S. Large Cap Value Portfolio
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.22DFLVXn/an/a66.528.9812.2911.172/19/93
Northern Funds Stock Index Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.10NOSIX6.156.1556.2216.6516.1713.7810/7/96
T. Rowe Price Large-Cap Growth Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.56TRLGX3.663.6667.9722.7124.0517.8810/31/01
Northern Funds Mid Cap Index Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.15NOMIX13.4713.4783.2613.2414.1911.743/22/05
Northern Funds Small Cap Value Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
1.00NOSGX18.9018.9077.188.1110.179.464/1/94
T. Rowe Price QM U.S. Small-Cap Growth Equity Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.79TQAIX4.194.1969.4516.0817.2813.636/30/97
 Average Annual Total Returns (%)3 
International Equity FundsExpense
Ratio
TickerQTRYTD1 Yr3 Yrs5 Yrs10 Yrs or Life of FundInception
Date
Northern Funds International Equity Index Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.24NOINX3.423.4244.225.828.855.423/22/05
Neuberger Berman International Select Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.81NILIX1.841.8451.188.239.865.9910/6/06
Vanguard Emerging Markets Select Stock Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.85VMMSX5.365.3671.007.9213.455.026/27/11
 Average Annual Total Returns (%)3 
Commodities FundExpense
Ratio
TickerQTRYTD1 Yr3 Yrs5 Yrs10 Yrs or Life of FundInception
Date
Credit Suisse Commodity Return Strategy Fund
Fact Sheet, Prospectus, Annual Report
0.80CRSOX6.776.7735.460.132.54-6.2812/30/04